Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Self Harm Awearness

Tomorrow, March 1st, is Self Harm Awareness Day.

Now it's time for some transparency.

I have struggled with self harm in the past. In many forms. Most might see self harm as just "cutting".

I don't.

There are so many ways we can intentionally harm outselves to mask the other types of pain we are feeling. That's the only way I was ever able to explain my actions. When I was self harming, I was deflecting from my other problems. I was able to ignore them, even if it was just temporary. 

This definition is from the Mayo Clinic's website:

"Self-injury, also called self-harm, is the act of deliberately harming your own body, such as cutting or burning yourself. It's typically not meant as a suicide attempt. Rather, self-injury is an unhealthy way to cope with emotional pain, intense anger and frustration."

Deliberately. Harming. Your OWN. Body.

Think of all the ways we can do that?

Eating disorders
- over eating
- aneorexia
- bulimia
- emotionally eating
- excessive dieting

Cutting

Alcohol abuse

Drug abuse
- illegal or prescription

Promiscuity

Staying in unhealthy relationships
- be it friend or partner


This is a short list, but this is MY list, that I have personally dealt with.

But, you know what?

It CAN get better. I'm living proof.

Ways to seek help:

- talk to someone, anyone
I say anyone, but from my experience, some people just don't understand. Being misunderstood is a lot better than keeping up this unhealthy life style.

- talk to your doctor

- talk to/get a counselor 

- stop trying to ignore the situation

- learn your triggers

- learn healthy coping mechanisms 

- if you're at rock bottom and just can't deal, or just don't know where to start, email me: alicia.b.walker@gmail.com



I truly hope this post can help someone. 

There is hope.





No comments:

Post a Comment