Monday, March 3, 2014

I'm A Hands Off Momma

I want so badly for my son to be a strong and independent person.

Seriously though, this is so true, right?

I honestly want for him to be a tough little guy. He gets lots of hugs and kisses. I ask him how much I love him and he responds with "So very much." Melts my heart. 

A lot of these phrases get said around our house too:

Try, try, again.

You can do it yourself.

You can play by yourself right now.

Figure it out.


Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Joey. I also don't want to set him up for failure either. I see too many young men who were coddled by their parents & haven't grown into mature, independent, or very morally strong. I want my son to do things on his own, not rely on others. Yes, asking for help isn't all bad, but honestly, he needs to know there isn't always going to be someone standing behind him with the solution to his problems.

I know I sound like a terribly mean Momma right now, but just because I don't follow my child around on the playground doesn't mean I don't enjoy doing things with him. We painted together earlier today, and we read books together on the regular. 

Does he get frustrated sometimes? Yes, and then I step in and talk to him about dealing with his emotions properly and if I feel he needs help, I help.

Do I make him do everything for himself, no. Should I make him do more by himself, I think so.

His independence and toughness can even make me laugh sometimes. I tried to doctor a bee sting for him one time and he said:

"I'll just rub some dirt on it."

I don't want to be the mom following my kid around with hand sanitizer.
Germs are everywhere.
I don't want to be worried about him getting messy.
Clothes can be replaced, memories can't.
I don't want to worry about him getting hurt (scrapes, bumps, & ect.).
It is just inevitable.
I'm (going to try) not to stress over him being at the same "level" as other kids.
Every child (person for that matter) is unique.
I'll encourage him to get messy.
Because he is only young once.
I'll do my best to let him explore things and try things out.
That is how kids learn.

I'm not perfect, none of us are. We're just doing the best we can.





PS. Thinking about posting a vlog soon!! Maybe haha.


No comments:

Post a Comment