Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Lent, But Baptists Don't Do That.

Since I was pregnant with Joey (4 years, wow), I have tried to observe Lent. Some people reading this might be like, and? Other people people might be like, Baptists don't do that (I've actually received this comment). To the latter:

I'm unconventional.

So, what is Lent? Because, honestly, I didn't know for a long time. Except my mom was Lutheran as a kid and observed it. A lot of my friends in the Army observed it. Until I was in the Army though, I never met anyone who currently observed it. The Army did have it's way of exposing me to many cultural differences. I think that was an amazing thing.

Okay, back to Lent. It represents the forty days before Jesus' death that he spent in the wilderness. He fasted, was tempted, and had spiritual reflection. Luke 4. It ends on Resurrection (or Easter) Sunday.

There are three practices that are usually taken up during Lent.
- Fasting (Giving something up)
- Penance (Giving)
- Prayer

Tell me this, are Baptist not supposed to fast, give, or pray? I think we are. This time is about preparing yourself completely for Resurrection Sunday. It is a great way to remember that this time is not about bunnies, eggs, & getting the family all in matching outfits. It's about focusing your heart on Jesus. I honestly think observing traditions like this as a family will help the whole family remember what this time of year is all about.


“Yet even now,” declares the Lord, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning;


Joel 2:12






No comments:

Post a Comment